Why Take a Tour from Rome or Naples
A place like Pompeii, with its tragic past and fascinating resurgence, deserves a tour where you have an understanding of what you're looking at and not just glide past ancient structures without understanding what they mean in the grand scheme of things. A guided tour allows you to experience Pompeii in all its magnificent glory while showcasing the doomed city's past. Here are some additional reasons why you should consider opting for a guided tour of Pompeii:
- Ease of travelling: One of the many great things about a guided tour of Pompeii is that you don't need to make any additional travel arrangements. Your guided tour includes hotel pickup and drop, allowing you to focus just on having an enlightening time at the ancient archeological site and not worry about figuring out transport options to get back to Rome or Naples.
- Skip the line entrance: With more than 3 million visitors annually, Pompeii is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Italy. This translates to long queues at the entrance and a lot of minutes wasted just standing around waiting for your turn. A guided tour with skip the line access will take you right past the neverending queue and into the majestic city of Pompeii.
- Knowledgeable guide: Like mentioned above, Pompeii is not like your regular tourist spots. To truly appreciate the lost city, you need a well-informed guide to keep you company and share interesting facts about every place you pass during your tour. Frankly, even a self-guided tour won't have the same effect as a guided tour led by a knowledgeable guide.
Tips for Planning Your Tour from Rome & Naples
- You'll be walking around a lot during your Pompeii tour and there's a lot to see in the ancient ruin city. Bring a pair of comfortable walking shoes to ensure that your journey through Pompeii is as hassle-free as possible.
- Most of Pompeii is uncovered and the sun will be out for most of your tour. Bring a hat and sunglasses to avoid direct sunlight and also carry water because you'll get thirsty with all the walking around and the heat.
- While planning your Rome or Naples trip, set aside at least 4 to 5 hours for your Pompeii tour. It will take you 4-5 hours to properly explore the ruins of Pompeii.
- Either have your food before arriving at Pompeii or bring packed food and have it before entering the city. This is because food is not allowed inside the Pompeii ruins.
- Save time and money by getting your Pompeii tour tickets online. This way, you'll not only save money but also avoid wasting valuable time at the entrance, waiting to buy your tickets.
- You can get free access to the Pompeii ruins on the first Sunday of every month. Do note that this is by far the busiest day of the month in Pompeii and if you're paying for the tickets, you might as well book for a weekday when the crowds are less.
- Another casualty of the eruption of Mount Vesuvius was Pompeii's neighboring town, Herculaneum. Combine your Pompeii tour with a quick visit to the sister town and learn more about the often forgotten town.
- If you're carrying luggage, you can store it at either Porta Marina or Piazza Anfiteatro for a minimal fee.