Pompeii Opening Hours & Best Time to Visit 2021
The lost city of Pompeii is a true gem in the history of Europe. Once a thriving town near the Bay of Naples, it was reduced to ash and debris when Mount Vesuvius erupted back in 79 AD. After centuries of being buried, excavation and preservation efforts began between the 18th and 19th Centuries, leading to the discovery of the ruins of Pompeii. Today, tourists from all around the world flock to this fascinating little town to explore its well-reserved remains.
Plan Your Visit to Pompeii
Pompeii opening hours are between 09:00 AM to 05:00 PM from Monday to Friday, with final entry at 03:30 PM. It is closed on Saturday and Sunday, along with 1 January, 1 May and 25 December.
The best time to visit Pompeii is right at the beginning of the day, when the entrance gates open. The best time of the year to visit Pompeii is during the off season, between November to March since the summer season (between May to September) is always crowded.
Pompeii is closed on Saturday, Sunday, 1 January, 1 May and 25 December.
Large pieces of luggage are not permitted inside the premises of Pompeii. However, you can store your baggage at the storage facilities available before entry. For convenience, you can carry a small backpack or purse.
Yes. A lot of the different paths inside the town have been modified to accommodate wheelchair access. Some paths might have uneven flooring and therefore difficult for wheelchair accessibility.
Yes. Restaurants and cafes are available at Pompeii for visitor use.
Guests can avail facilities like the ATM, public washrooms, bookshop and more.
Book Your Pompeii Tickets & Tours
Tips for Your Pompeii Tour
Here are some tips to keep in mind before planning your visit to Pompeii:
1. Wear comfortable shoes and try to avoid footwear with heels. Since there’s plenty of walking involved on uneven surfaces, sneakers/shoes are your best bet.
2. Summers can get pretty hot in Pompeii. If you’re travelling during these months, carry plenty of sunscreen and a bottle of water for your visit. Also try to avoid carrying large bags.
3. Ensure that you book your Pompeii tickets online and in advance. The site only accepts online reservations right now.
4. The best way to explore Pompeii is by opting for a guided tour. They are your best bet in learning maximum information and visiting all the prime attractions at Pompeii.
5. If you have the time, try to visit the Mount Vesuvius crater. The perspective you gain from there is just unparalleled to anything.
6. Prepare to spend a good 4-6 hours at the site. While it is impossible to cover everything Pompeii has to offer in a few hours, this time slot should be sufficient to visit the main attractions at least.
Pompeii opening hours are between 09:00 AM to 05:00 PM, from Monday to Friday, with final entry at 03:30 PM. It is closed to the public on Saturday and Sunday.
The best time visit Pompeii is early in the morning, when the entry gates open, to avoid large crowds. The best time of year to visit Pompeii is between November to March, which is the off-season.
Yes. Most paths have been redesigned to accommodate wheelchair accessibility. Some paths, however, have uneven surfacing and might be difficult to visit while on a wheelchair.
Yes. While visitors are not permitted to carry large pieces of luggage into Pompeii, storage facilities have been made available to accommodate large baggage.
While it is impossible to cover the vast premises in a single day, to visit all the major attractions, visitors can plan to spend about 4-6 hours at least, here.